Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Support your Volunteers

Several months ago there was a lot of talk about cuts in Peace Corps funding in American news media. You may have seen something in your local paper or on the television. These budget cut backs are currently being implemented all over the world. The African Region has decided to cut volunteer numbers rather than the support staff. While it in unfortunate that ten less communities in Benin will receive a volunteer, I am glad that this approach was taken. Unfortunately, we are still experiencing some financial difficulties here and they could become worse over the next few years.

I remain hopeful that this could change in the coming years. Both McCain and Obama both mentioned increasing the Peace Corps budget while on the campaign trail, so it would seem bipartisan support for PC is a no-brainer. I would also support stategic and structural changes, but I'm not going to lay out my 7 point plan here. I will say that I would increase the readjustment allowance for RPCVs (now it is at 6k USD, not enough to "start over" in a major American city).

I am posting to take the opportunity to pass along this link I came across that guide people through the process of contacting your representative to ask them to support the PC program. Please pass the word along, we are doing our best out here, and it would be a shame if cutbacks became too extensive and whole programs were lost.

No comments: