Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Black Death Blackout Bingo

I'm doing my best to collect every stereotypical "African" illness. There has been amoebas, giardia, some mystery illnesses that may or may not have been Malaria, and a few others whose names I didn't catch as I ran to the latrine. The latest has been a fungus-bacteria tag team that has my face looking like I'm testing 12 gauge buckshot from point blank range face-first.

Luckily here in Peace Corps Benin we have a great medical staff that takes excellent care of us and with combined experience of over 40 years, there is little they haven't seen. Sometimes they can be a little over zealous if anything. So last Thursday I found myself pleading with one of our medical staff to allow me to spend the weekend in post so that I might hold my AIDS training session. Eventually I got my way (and the session was great!). This week he took one look at my chewed up mug and quickly prescribed a second cream and an anti-biotic.

Hopefully the chemical cocktail will prevent me from looking like Robert Davi.

No comments: